Friday, October 22, 2010

yesterday

Yesterday we celebrated Chris' 32nd birthday and Henry's 15 month. We surprised Daddy at school and kidnapped him from Cross Country practice. In order to do this, we had to leave home around 3:30 - 30 minutes earlier than when I'd like Henry to get up from his nap. On average, his naps are around 2.5 hours and yesterday would have been an awesome day for it to be closer to 2.5, but {of course} he was SOUND asleep when I needed him to get up. I mean, butt-in-the-air, asleep-on-his-knees asleep. Really precious and it was against every bone in my body to wake him up, except one - the one that loves Chris and values the gift we were going to give him.

A few weeks ago, I asked Chris what he wanted for his birthday. I already had a few goodies for him, but wanted to make sure there wasn't something specific he was yearning after. In fact, I had been kind of bugging him about giving me some ideas. I was being asked by my family and his for gift ideas and I was coming up short. You see, Chris is difficult to buy for. He doesn't really want anything and he hates that people feel obligated to get him something. It was his answer to my question a few weeks ago that made me very happy and reminded me of one of the reasons I love him. He said, "What I want for my birthday is something people can't buy me. I want more time with you and with Henry."

We are nearing the end of Cross Country season - a time of our year where Chris works 11 hour days 5 days a week and 8 hour days on Saturday which includes a wake up in the 4 o'clock hour. It's very feast or famine in our house with Daddy-time and we've been working hard on not just living for the 5 weeks he has off in the summer and forfeiting the other 10 months of the school year. In the Spring, we'll just trade 11 hour days with Cross Country practice for 11 hour days with Track practice and meets. Needless to say, we are feeling it right now, hence his birthday request.

So, sleepy baby and I loaded up and went to get Daddy to do our best at extended time together. We had dinner out and after putting Henry to bed, we watched a movie. We are movie people and don't get to see as many as we once did, so the DVR made sure I didn't miss Project Runway while we enjoyed the third time we'd seen Reign Over Me. Oh, and we ate the best strawberry cupcakes from Kelly's Kakes. Seriously, the best thing you'll ever eat. Chris loved his gifts and, as simple as it was, his birthday celebration.


I like acknowledging Henry's "month birthdays", but beyond that I'm not that into them. I have noticed a significant difference in our little boy over the last couple of weeks. The switch has been officially made from baby to toddler. And by toddler, I mean ALL that comes with it - not just the walking around. I mean the I-want-to-{insert whatever}-but-you-won't-let-me tantrums. "I'm sorry, but you're not going to walk in the parking lot," I say. He wants to try lots of things, like carrying a gallon of tea, but gets super frustrated when he can't do it or figure it out. Like his mom, when he gets frustrated or hurt, he gets physical. He doesn't want to be consoled because he's mad at me. He's not easily distracted, so I-realize-you're-frustrated-would-you-like-to-play-with-this-toy-instead doesn't always work. He's onto me and my tricks. He remains the sweetest, cutest little boy and he's a lot of fun - we have just definitely moved from taking care of a person to parenting. Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment