Saturday, October 23, 2010

when the eaters get picky....

....the mommies get sneaky!

If you have a little one, you know that veggies are difficult to get in their little bodies. And in our house, breakfast needed a little spicing up. Enter this glorious recipe, courtesy of my friend Emilie. She is such a good mom and cook. If you've ever had her boyfriend cookies, then you know what I'm talking about. She even has a current post about Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Muffins. Yum.


{note: it is impossible for me to follow a recipe as is, so I tweaked it a little}

:: Sweet Potato Pancakes ::

1 cup water
1/2 cup sweet potato puree*
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup pancake mix

In a large bowl, mix the water, sweet potato puree and cinnamon. Add the pancake mix and stir to combine - the batter should be lumpy.
Coat a griddle or large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, spoon the batter onto the griddle or pan. {I use a 1/4 cup measuring spoon for silver dollar size pancakes}
Cook until bubbles form on top of the pancakes and the batter is set, 2-3 minutes. Then flip to cook other side, 2-3 minutes.

*I used Kroger brand Cut Yams in Light Syrup, drained them, and pureed in a small food processor. The can yields about a cup, so I doubled the recipe above. I plan on freezing the pancakes individually in zip-top bags to use in mornings down the road.


And since I have the habit of showing you strange things I find in our food....here is a quarter-sized unidentified hard thing that came out of our brand new box of Bisquick. It looks and feels like a piece of marble. So weird.

3 comments:

  1. OOOH!!! YUMMY! I think my 2 small people will LOVE this! Try Zucchini Bread...it's cake, but you can put a lot of zucchini in it. (It's the only way to get Mo to eat that "green stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! I also made zucchini bread and it was a big hit. I love allrecipes.com!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sweet potato pancakes! Yum! Have you gotten Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook? It's all about sneaking veggies into foods kids love.

    ReplyDelete