Tuesday, September 14, 2010

my henry-BOY

Just a few hours ago in Trader Joe's a woman was shopping with her probably 4-year-old son. Her son saw Henry and got really excited. "Mommy, look at that boy. He looks like my friend. Look. Look." {I love how little kids acknowledge each other. It's funny to me that they recognize that they are different from adults and know others like them, a.k.a. other kids, when they see them.} As we passed the woman and her son she said to him, "No, honey. That's a little girl."

WHA?

I realize that Henry is extraordinarily cute, has the sweetest face with mile-long eyelashes, and an almost-mullet that-if you squint-could be mistaken for long hair, but COME ON. Henry is CLEARLY a boy. I acted like I didn't hear the woman, mostly because I get awkward in situations like that. I don't like going out of my way {especially because it was feasible that I might not have heard her} to correct someone because I don't want to make them feel stupid. Maybe I should have corrected her because she obviously IS stupid.

Here is my sweet BOY exactly as he looked at TJ's, wearing his stickers to prove it.

{One of his favorite new words is "shoe." Here he is saying it and handing me my flip-flop.}

Have I done my child a disservice by not speaking up and telling that silly woman that he is, in fact, a boy? I'm not going to find out because I have now resolved to correct any crazy person who mistakenly calls him a girl :)

3 comments:

  1. My favorite line..."because she obviously IS stupid."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very clearly a little boy. And a handsome one at that. Andee thinks he is hot, so take that Trader Joe's woman.

    p.s. I hope you know how blessed you are that you can just up and go to Trader Joes. The closest one to me is Albuquerque, NM. I looked it up. I thought about driving there for some wine once...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do people do that?! If you can't tell what gender a baby is, just say, "What a cute/sweet/precious baby" and leave it at that! Every time I am with Natalie and Thomson, we hear, "She is so tan!" "She has such pretty eyelashes" or "How old is she?" Nat just answers their question or says thank you. Never corrects them. So I egg it on and call him a pretty little girl. Mean Aunt Erin.

    Henry is the handsomest boy in the world!

    ReplyDelete