Monday, November 29, 2010

sweeney

It has been 8 months since we lost our friend, Mike Sweeney to Stage 4 Metastatic Melanoma.  He had a brave fight and finished with great dignity and grace.  I think about him at really random times and am moved to tears nearly every time.  

I thought of him today when I purchased a TV on Amazon as part of the Cyper Monday deals.  He and Cabell bought their TV on Black Friday years ago and I thought this was so funny. 

I thought of him as I pulled out the Christmas music and started to enjoy the mix they made and sent to friends for Christmas.  On my ipod, it is this image that shows for the album artwork.  I love looking at him and beautiful Cabell every time I enjoy a song.



I think of him every time I hear Gnarls Barkley's song Crazy.  It was when this song was new and Sweeney wanted to play it at Young Life club at Roswell High School.  I was leading with him and listened to the song 1,274 times to learn the words.


I think of sweet Cabell, his wife, every time I'm feeling sorry for myself or mad at Chris.  I think of the grief that has now become her constant companion.  I am so inspired by her trust in the Lord, her wisdom, and how the Lord has shaped her and used her.  


In its fullest breadth and meaning, it is amazing.

5 comments:

  1. Great thoughts for during the holiday - grief can become gratitude. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, i thought of him too when you told me about buying your tv today. miss him so much. love you friend. let's get together soon. it's been too long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Fitting thoughts for a dearly loved - and missed - friend...and our sweet Cabell.

    Love to the Yoders...Jana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I re-read a post that Wyatt wrote last summer. He mentioned visiting with the Sweeney's down the hall at MD Anderson. I had a moment where I realized how sweet of a time that must have been in the midst of so much pain for everybody. Seems like Sweeney always provided those sweet moments for people, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last week I had a dream that a bunch of us were all hanging out with him. I hugged him for like five minutes. It felt like a visit. That is officially the cheesiest thing I've ever written, but man it was so good.

    p. watson

    ReplyDelete